[RULE] New install report available: futura

Jason Bechtel jasonbechtel at care2.com
Mon Jun 2 22:11:10 EEST 2003

I mean that people who might not have the
hardware to efficiently compile their own custom
kernel could use the web server hardware to
compile a kernel for them, using their choices.
Then they could either just download the kernel
or they could have it built into a custom ISO.
I've seen a ~1GHz PIII w/ 768MB of RAM do a
kernel compile in just a few minutes.

I admit that the idea of kernel customization is
getting a bit out-of-hand at that point, but I'm
just thinking aloud here...  :-)

Oh, and providing all of these services quickly
opens up the webserver to an easy denial of
service attack.  :-(

Oh, here's another idea...  To dissuade your
average Joe (not interested in RULE) from abusing
our kernel compilation resources, one could limit
the options to things that are useful for RULE
machines.  I'm not sure what options would be
excluded, exactly.  Again, just thinking aloud...

Jason