[RULE] Proposals for the 0.4.0 Version of Slinky

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Tue Jun 3 04:52:54 EEST 2003

On Monday 02 June 2003 04:14 am, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 09:51:29 at 09:51:29AM +0200, Ingo Lantschner
>  ingo at vum.at  wrote:
>
> General comments:
>
> 1) there are menu management systems already (can't remember their
> names right now), and above all the relevant standard at
> www.freedesktop.org: using them is the best way to go.

Correct, but currently, I don't think icewm is freedesktop.org compliant.
Besides, for all the talk about desktop compliance, just try building a
package and integrating it into the kde or gnome redhat menus. ;)

I spent a good part of last night building "quanta" (an html editor for
KDE). I was building the latest version, but building for RH 8.0. Once I
got the build, I wanted desktop integration files. Here is the spec file
snippet to add one entry to the desktop menu. (And this assumes the
developer included the basic desktop entry in the package.)

%if %{desktop_file}
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/applications
desktop-file-install --vendor kde \
        --dir $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/applications \
        --delete-original \
        --add-category "Application;Development;X-Red-Hat-Extra" \
        $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/applnk/Development/quanta.desktop

The file in question looks like:
$cat quanta.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Quanta Plus
Exec=quanta
Icon=quanta
Type=Application
MimeType=text/html
DocPath=quanta/index.html
Comment=Web Development Environment
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.3
Categories=Application;Development;X-Red-Hat-Extra;

> 2) If the project is to progress, it is important to find maintainers
> of several subsystems. Michael is great, but nobody can do everything
> alone. Making RPMs of these menu management things, or everybody else,
> and then handing them over for ISO creation or separate download is
> much better

Agreed on the package managment issues.