[RULE] My Computer Info

Jason Bechtel jasonbechtel at care2.com
Fri Jun 6 16:24:08 EEST 2003

Well, "n/a" stands for "not applicable" which
means it doesn't make sense for this item.  An
example of a good use of n/a would be the section
on the sound card.  If the value in the first
field is "none" (no sound card), then the value
in any subsequent sound card fields should be
"n/a" because these questions are inapplicable
with a sound-less system.

There are many bad uses of "n/a" in this example
report.  You can't say that the motherboard is
not applicable!  You also can't say that there
isn't one ("none"), because we all know there is...

I think Eugene's suggestion of an "unsure" option
is a good one.  This is likely what people mean
when the currently select "n/a".

Jason