[RULE] Getting screenshots of miniconda/slinky

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Mon Jun 9 05:46:04 EEST 2003

On Sunday 08 June 2003 09:20 pm, Michael Fratoni wrote:

> I may have the ability to capture console output added to slinky.
> Testing now.

OK,
We have two methods available. Easiest is using the current installer.

o Boot, but don't start the installer.
o Create a few virtual console capture devices:
o mknod /dev/vcs c 7 0
o mknod /dev/vcs1 c 7 1
o mknod /dev/vcs2 c 7 2
o (The above relate to the current vt, vt1, and vt2)
o Switch to VT2 (alt+F2)
o cat /dev/vcs1 > console.txt
o console.txt will contain the display from VT1

I've added the proper device files to my build tree. Anyone who has
downloaded the slinky_devel tarball can do the same:

o cd slinky_devel/filesystem/dev/
o mknod vcs c 7 0
o mknod vcs1 c 7 1
o mknod vcs2 c 7 2
o mknod vcsa c 7 128
o mknod vcsa1 c 7 129
o mknod vcsa2 c 7 130

The second method is similar, but uses "setterm". This is useful, because
I can now keep the console from blanking during install as well.

To add this to slinky_devel, download:
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/slinky/misc/setterm
and copy it to slinky_devel/filesystem/usr/bin/

'setterm -blank 0' stops the console from blanking. This will be done by
the initscripts used by the installer in future versions. For now, just
add the above line to slinky_devel/filesystem/etc/init.d/rcS

A screen dump can be done with:
'setterm -dump 1' (for dumping VT1) It will create a file in the current
directory named screen.dump. You can specify the filename and path as
well using the -file option. It will overwrite an existing file with the
same name. You can also append the output to an existing file. Omit the
- -dump flag, and use 'setterm -append 1' This is all basically the same as
catting /dev/vcs1, except setterm uses /dev/vcsa1. Rather than explain
the difference between the device files, I'll just point you to 'man
vca'.