[RULE] Serial cable install

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Wed Jun 11 00:44:38 EEST 2003

Steven Fullmer wrote:

> I have an old laptop that I would like to use for very basic RH 8
> installation (so I can learn Linux while at work).
>
> It is an IBM 486sx Thinkpad, 8 MB RAM

Red Hat Linux 8.0 does only include the kernel (the inner core of the
Linux operating sysytem) for Pentium compatible processors and up. This
means for your 486 you will need to download the i386-kernel from Red
Hat's FTP server.

Ummm, my memory... does SX mean with or without mathematical
coprocessor? If I recall correctly, the slinky installer kernel has
support for processors without a mathematical coprocessor (the original
Red Hat installer kernel has not!).

8 MB of RAM means you cannot use the miniconda installer but have to use
slinky.

200 MB harddrive isn't much, but I think a really basic install will
fit.

> I've never used serial-to-serial, or modem-to-modem before.

Me neither, so I cannot say anything about this. Sorry!

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 8.0 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/