[RULE] additional feedback on Slinky 0.3.95

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Fri Jun 13 06:33:30 EEST 2003

On Wednesday 11 June 2003 01:17 pm, Ingo Lantschner wrote:
> Here is some more observations. Since for my impression Slinky is
> technically already at a very high level, this time it is only some
> usability-stuff, which may make it easier, for someone new to find his
> way trough the strange world of Linux.
>
> * Installing from the ISO and having therefore the stage2 files on a CD
>   already in the CD-Drive (always in this situation): Slinky still
>   prompts for inserting the disk containing the stage 2 files in the
>   cdrom drive and to press 'enter' when ready.
>   -> This should be ommited if possible

I'll look into it.

> * SKIP_FORMAT_ROOT=0 in slinky.config gives strange results - I thínk
>   because it does the same as SKIP_FORMAT_ROOT=1.
>   -> SKIP_FORMAT_ROOT=0 should format the hd w/o prompting (may be an
>   extra warning should be placed in slinky.config.sample like "WARNING:
>   setting SKIP_FORMAT_ROOT to 1 formats the partition without any
>   further prompting!! Do NOT use this option on systems with data you
>   may need later.

Currently:
Unless someone is using the config file, SKIP_FORMAT_ROOT will be null.
It doesn't matter what SKIP_FORMAT_ROOT is defined as, the installer only
checks to see if it is defined. The way to use it is:
Leave it commented out, and you'll be prompted to format /
Uncomment it, and you won't be prompted, and / won't be formatted.

I've changed it:
## Big Fat Warning!
## If you uncomment and set SKIP_FORMAT_ROOT=0, the installer
## will format your / partition without further prompting.
## Please be careful!
## 0 = format without prompting, 1 = skip formatting, no prompt.
## Leave commented, and the installer will ask about formatting.

# SKIP_FORMAT_ROOT=1

> * After stage2 scripts installation, the Rule-ISO CDROM is not ejected.
>   --> The change of CDROMS should be consistent - I would prefer, that
>   the disks are always ejected and the user is prompted to hit enter,
>   when he has inserted the new disk (like alredy implemented between
>   RH disk 1 and disk 2).

Not possible at present. The installer lacks the 'eject' binary. It's only
available after the rpms from disk 1 have been installed.

However, I've just built 'eject' against uClibc, and included it in the
root fliesystem. Disk 1 is now officially damn near full. ;)

[mfratoni at paradox eject-2.0.9]$ df -h /mnt/floppy/
/dev/fd0              1.4M  1.4M   38K  98% /mnt/floppy

The next release will have this feature.