[RULE] installing or not installing smtp

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sat Jun 21 17:50:53 EEST 2003

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 16:36:38 at 04:36:38PM +0300, Kweskin Richard  rkwesk at mail.ariadne-t.gr  wrote:

> Not having sendmail the smtp option was chosen pushed to the same smtp server
> of the isp used on every box. This is being posted from another box on my lan
> right now.

I missed the beginning of this discussion (see other message to know
why).
In general, however, it also depends from the kind of connection and
the mail client you choose.

If you have smtp capable client (Kmail is, mutt isn't) you can program
it directly to connect to isp smtp server (delayed if on dialup) and
not need smtp server on local box.

If you use mutt or other smtp-less client, regardless of connection
type, you have to install some *local* smtp server. For stand alone
PCs, real smtp servers (sendmail, postfix...) may be overkill, BUT there
are simpler servers for those scenarios (ssmtp, nullmailer, others,
IIRC)

Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

Real Programmers don't play tennis, or any other sport that requires
you to change clothes.  Mountain climbing is OK, and real programmers
wear their climbing boots to work in case a mountain should suddenly
spring up in the middle of the machine room.