[RULE] Sumitting PC Data

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 22 00:17:17 EEST 2003

>From: "M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti at inwind.it>
>
>The current form (once I'm sure everything is back on again) already
>allows to upload a text file, where one can put every info considered
>useful, from the outputs you suggest to the install report, or simply
>your review of how RULE/Red Hat perform on that box. In this sense,
>then, everything is already configured.
>
>If, instead, you meant adding fields to the database, so that it shows
>everything it has today plus those info, all in directly searchable
>tabular format, I'm not sure there is a need to use it. By "need" I
>mean being able to figure out if RULE is for you, or to debug
>installers better by reading those data.
>
>What does the list think?

Well, I meant both, because I thought that it might be easier to ask the
users to submit such 'n such a file instead of asking them what is their cpu
model, etc. Some people may not know, or may not know how to find out.

>From a quick scan of my /proc directories & subdirectories, I can see that
there are files which tell us about:
1.) CPU
2.) RAM
3.) Hard Disk

The experts on this mailing list should be able to add to the above list.

Maybe each section [ie: CPU, RAM, Hard Disk, etc.] can have a submit button
that automatically uploads the appropriate /proc file. If I click the
"Submit CPU Info" button, then it will automatically upload /proc/cpuinfo,
etc.

I'm sure that /proc/cpuinfo will provide more info than the RULE project
needs, but if I understand correctly, then we can parse the files for what
we need, using "cut" & "grep".

Questions? Comments?

Sincerely, & with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong