[RULE] Re: vum:BOX

Ingo Lantschner ingo at vum.at
Sun Jun 22 20:27:26 EEST 2003

> Even better: Ingo, May I ask you to put together a short press
> release, and a summary page of what you did, with links to VUM and
> everything else you think important?

RULE: RULE-based vum:BOX goes into final test

    RULE-based vum:BOX will be tested from Frank Luaba, project-coordinator from "congo:deux"

        After weeks of a very fruitful cooperation between VUM and "The RULE Project", we are now in the stage, where a "should-work-ISO" was delivered to one of the target-users, in order to put hands on it. Frank Tenday Luaba is the coordinator of the upcoming project congo:deux in Kinshasa/DRC. The roleout will take place in September 2003 in 4 schools.

        Presently he prepares some of the collected hardware in his headquarter in Vienna with the so called vum:BOX. Based on the Slinky-ISO (Version 0.3.95) from "The RULE-Project" this package contains a small but up to date version of RedHat Linux Version 9, the most recent versions of Abiword, OpenOffice and Acrobat Reader.

        This first experience with a ruleified system points out: This BOX will allow you  to perform all standard computing tasks. And by this, it will allow people to communicate and exchange information across borders and long distances. It will enable them to help themselves and to pass their skills onto others. We are very thankful to the OpenSource Community and especially to the people from The Rule Project.

        Related links:

        o   #REF http://ingo.netomania.at/rule/vum_BOX_Install/index.html;Pictures form the first installation;
        o   #REF http://ingo.netomania.at/vum/vum_box/index.html;Screenshots;
        o   #REF http://www.vum.at/;About VUM and the Project congo:deux;