[RULE] Re: Printing Support w/ Slinky 0.3.95

Ingo Lantschner ingo at vum.at
Wed Jun 25 12:15:01 EEST 2003

> Installing the krb5-libs package will solve the error above. Can you
> try that and see if cups that helps?
Yes, installing this one package solved the problem. cupsd starts now
w/o error.

> perl, and perl-Filter are required by the configuration tool. Both are
> listed in the network packages, but not the printing packages. I'll fix
> the lists. In the meantime, could you try installing them, and verify
> that this fixes the problem?
Yes, installing these two packages allowed me to start
redhat-config-printer and to add a local printer (other options not
tested). Due to codependency between perl and perl-Filter I had to --nodep
perl. (Unfortunatly I recognised too late the other possibility provided
by Richard and Jason on this list: "rpm -ivh perl perl-Filter" - I will
keep it for the next time :-) )

Space: Perl and perlfiter adds 44MB - as already discussed there is no
way around it?!? Do I remeber this right?

Next issue:
----------
Printing the testpage, I got an error. The /var/log/messages states:
---
Jan  7 18:09:18 localhost kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
Jan  7 18:09:18 localhost kernel: parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 5L
Jan  7 18:09:23 localhost kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
Jan  7 18:09:23 localhost kernel: parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 5L
Jan  7 18:09:23 localhost kernel: lp0: using parport0 (polling).
Jan  7 18:09:23 localhost kernel: lp0: console ready
Jan  7 18:09:23 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-188
Jan  7 18:09:25 localhost last message repeated 15 times
Jan  7 18:09:25 localhost cups: cupsd startup succeeded
---

Any idea?

Thanks and bye, Ingo.

Ingo Lantschner