[RULE] Re: [Rule-list] Introduction from Richard

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at mail.ariadne-t.gr
Fri Jun 27 00:26:39 EEST 2003

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 10:07 pm, Justin Bowen wrote:
> Hey, just wondering if you were able to get your Xircom NIC working.  I
> have a Toshiba laptop with a Xircom NIC that I'm setting up with the Slinky
> 0.3.5 ISO and RedHat 8
>
> I'm sorry to bother you with this but I thought you may be able to help.
> I've installed RULE and everything works except the NIC and I can't figure
> out how to bring it up.  The module (xircom_cb.o) is installed, however I
> can't seem to "activate" it (for lack of a better term).  Is there
> something that needs to be done to link the device eth0 to this module?
>
> thanks,
> Justin

Hello Justin and everyone on the rule list

Michael will correct me if I err

if by "module (xircom_cb.o) is installed" you mean insmod succeeded then try:

type on the command line

	ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

this would bring up the card with a static address (substitute your choice for
192.168.0.1 of course.)

If that worked you can make put in the file

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.0.1		(again substitute your choice)
NETMASK=255.255.255.0

and in /etc/sysconfig/network

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain	(or whatever you find suitable)
GATEWAY=					(this one I leave blank because only one box goes on the internet