[RULE] Re: [Rule-list] Introduction from Richard

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Fri Jun 27 07:59:10 EEST 2003

On Thursday 26 June 2003 05:26 pm, Richard Kweskin wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 June 2003 10:07 pm, Justin Bowen wrote:
> > Hey, just wondering if you were able to get your Xircom NIC working.
> > I have a Toshiba laptop with a Xircom NIC that I'm setting up with
> > the Slinky 0.3.5 ISO and RedHat 8

> if by "module (xircom_cb.o) is installed" you mean insmod succeeded
> then try:
>
> type on the command line
>
> 	ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> this would bring up the card with a static address (substitute your
> choice for 192.168.0.1 of course.)
>
> If that worked you can make put in the file
>
> sus
>
> DEVICE=eth0
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=192.168.0.1		(again substitute your choice)
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>
> and in /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain	(or whatever you find suitable)
> GATEWAY=					(this one I leave blank because only one box goes on the
> internet

I have a Toshiba laptop with a xircom NIC as well. I'm assuming that we
are talking about a PCMCIA device?

Edit (or create) /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia
$ cat /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia
PCMCIA=yes
PCIC=i82365
PCIC_OPTS=do_scan=0
CORE_OPTS=
CARDMGR_OPTS=-f

Here are my other related files:
$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
IPADDR=192.168.0.8
NETMASK=255.255.55.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
ONBOOT=yes

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=slinky
GATEWAY=192.168.0.3

/sbin/service pcmcia restart
/sbin/service network restart

That should do it, let me know if that isn't the case.