[RULE] Install Report (slinky 3.95 with Red Hat variant)

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sat Jun 28 06:25:27 EEST 2003

On Friday 27 June 2003 06:28 am, Raymundo Q. Baquirin wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I tried to use slinky to install a local distribution (Lorma Linux
> http://linux.lorma.edu/
> , based on Red Hat 9).  Here's what happened:
>
> 1.  I tried to install using the Lorma LInux installer (Anaconda, don't
> know if it's stock Red Hat or modified).  The installer crashed after
> the Disk Druid stage where I had defined a mount point for / and for
> /boot.

Unless this distro is a duplicate of Red Hat, this will fail. Package
name-version, and disk location must match Red Hat exactly. Red hat 9
requires 2 disks for the install, so the installer will fail if this is a
single disk distribution you are installing. You'll need to edit the
package lists to reflect this, if all the packages are on one disk.

> 6. Switched to a second terminal, where I created a directory /mnt/win
> and mounted /dev/hda1 on it:
>     mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win
>
> 7. Loop-mounted the Lorma Linux iso:
>      mount -t iso9660 /mnt/win/lorma/lorma_v.3.iso /mnt/cdrom -o loop
>
> 8. Loop-mounted disk2.img:
>     mount -t ext2 /mnt/win/rule/slinky/3.95/disk2.img /mnt/floppy -o
> loop

Don't mount anything. The installer will mount everything as it is needed.

> 9.  Switched back to terminal 1 and run install.sh.
>
> 10.  Got error messages:
>     Trying to mount /dev//dev/hda1
>     mount: Mounting /dev//dev/hda1 failed: No such file or directory
>     Failed to mount /dev//dev/hda1
>     mount: ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Bad file descriptor
>     mount: could not setup loop device
>     Failed to mount /dev//dev/hda1//lorma/lorma_v.3.iso
>     umount: /mnt/loop: Invalid argument
>     Located the RedHat/RPMS/ directory! success.
>     unmounting /dev//dev/hda1//lorma/lorma_v.3.iso

You've manually mounted things the installer is trying to mount. It fails
because they are already mounted. I'm not sure why you ended up with
/dev//dev/hda1. Can you try this without the slinky.config file? I'm not
sure I've ever tested an ISO install using the config file. This portion
of the install is a test mount. It verifies that the file can be mounted,
and contains the expected directory structure. It is then unmounted until
it is needed again.

> 11. The installation proceeds, but then stops and says the image can't
> be found and to switch to another terminal and manually mount it
> (sorry, I failed to write the exact message).  I switch to terminal 2.
> mount shows that the hda1 partition is no longer mounted, and in fact
> the directory I created, /mnt/win is no longer there.  Again I create
> /mnt/win, mount hda1 on that and loop-mount the lorma iso on /mnt/cdrom

No packages were installed according to the log. I'd suggest trying
without a config file, and without mounting anything in advance. When
prompted for the partition containing the images, just answer hda1
(rather than /dev/hda1), then provide the path to the image file, and the
name of the file when prompted. The installer should handle the rest.

Good luck.Hope that helps,