[RULE] Real Endusers installing w/ Slinky

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Jul 2 09:08:31 EEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 19:19, Michael Fratoni wrote:
> I'll look at it. I have to tell you that I *hate* the idea of creating a
> user with an empty password. It just goes against everything I've always
> taught/been taught. I agree this might add a small amount to the learning
> curve. In my mind, it's better to learn the proper way, rather than learn
> sloppy security practices.

First off, disk-based viruses are still a real issue, even though I
don't know any that are commonly known for Linux.

Secondly, running as root should _always_ be frowned up, networked or
non-networked.

Third, although I hate the concept of a system forcing a user to learn,
the concept of an username/password as well as, following on to #2,
privileged/unprivileged is rather "essential" in my book -- _regardless_
of user.  Even most Windows users know the former (even if not the
latter).

But I live in the US, so I may be rather ignorant.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.   b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs.org
If you want the stupid letters:   http://thebs.org/certs.pdf