[RULE] Re: Rule-list Digest, Vol 8, Issue 8

Raymundo Q. Baquirin rayb at apc.edu.ph
Thu Jul 10 05:35:13 EEST 2003

Hi, Jason,

From: "Jason Bechtel" <jasonbechtel at care2.com>
>To: rule-list at nongnu.org
>Subject: Re: [RULE] Re: Install Report (slinky 3.95 with Red Hat variant)
>        <rule-list at nongnu.org>
>Message: 4
>
>Ray,
>
>What architecture do you have?
When I boot, the banner reads:
  Red hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
  Kernel 2.4.20-18.9 on an i586

>  What kind of
>processor is in your system?
  AMD K6(tm)-2/500

> If you don't have
>an i686 or better, then you shouldn't install the
i686 packages.
Doh! Why didn't I think of that?

>  If you *do* have an i686 or
>better processor, then why is rpm complaining?
>Perhaps there is a setting in a configuration
>file somewhere?
>
>Why did you use the "--root" option to rpm?
I have to boot into my regular system in order to send e-mail.  So, to try the
rpm command, I mounted my Red Hat file system on /mnt/hd and then told rpm to
install with that as root. But the error message I got is actually
irrelevant. It just says that the rpm on my regular system doesn't know about
db3 ( and in fact I don't have a db3 file) so when the install script for the
package looks for db3, rpm complains.

I have tried booting into the Red Hat system and running rpm from there:
  rpm -i httpd-manual-2.0.40-21.1.i686.rpm
(I chose that package to test because it doesn't have any dependencies and
it's an i686 package) and got the error:
  package httpd-manual-2.0.40-21.1.i686.rpm is intended for a i686
architecture
Even with the --force option, the package doesn't install.

So I reckon, on this machine, I should just go with the i386 packages.  I can
try the i686 packages on another machine but I only have access to that one
on weekends.

Thanks for all the help!

Ray