[RULE] clarification on the iso

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Tue Jul 22 09:05:48 EEST 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 19:56:16 at 07:56:16PM -0500, James Miller  jamtat at mailsnare.net  wrote:
> I'm finding it a little confusing to determine what are the install
> options for RULE, apart from using the boot diskettes and RH cd's.  The
> question arises as I am considering trying RH 9.0 as the basis for my RULE
> install and I've understood from the documentation that a special kernel
> is required for > RH 8 installs, since a kernel for 486's is no longer
> provided in RH 8 and >.  If any of these understandings are wrong, please
> correct me.
>
> I am thinking that, in place of the diskettes and RH CD's, I might need to
> use one of the iso's you provide.  I've understood that the iso contains
> the 486 kernel: is this correct?  In addition, I'd like to know what else
> is on the iso: is it a complete set of packages for a typical RULE
> install?  And, finally, is the latest iso 0.3.6, as the iso homepage
> indicates?
>
> Thanks, James

James,

yes, RH8 and greater on less than Pentium class processors require the
kernel recompiled by Michael for those CPUs. That kernel is in the
ISO, or available directlyh from Michael website (where slinky is). I
will add an entry for it in the database.

As far as the ISO is concerned, its page links to what was in the
0.3.4 version. I don't remember, being offline now, what is the latest
ISO online, but if the database is not updated you can:

    go to the directory where that version is
    go one level up and see what's there
    let me know if I have to update the database.

Hope this helps.
General note: Michael told me in a private mail that he would be
offline for all this week more or less, so (as I have nor broadband
nor Michaels technical skills!) you'll need to wait if changes need to
be made (unless somebody else steps in and builds it, of course)

Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

Reality is for those who lack imagination