[RULE] clarification on the iso

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at mail.ariadne-t.gr
Tue Jul 22 13:28:37 EEST 2003

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:05:48 +0200
"M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti at inwind.it> wrote:

> yes, RH8 and greater on less than Pentium class processors require the
> kernel recompiled by Michael for those CPUs. That kernel is in the
> ISO, or available directlyh from Michael website (where slinky is). I
> will add an entry for it in the database.
>
> As far as the ISO is concerned, its page links to what was in the
> 0.3.4 version. I don't remember, being offline now, what is the latest
> ISO online, but if the database is not updated you can:

The latest version is 0.3.96.

Also, the iso contains only a few rpm packages in addition to the 486
kernel package. These are only used if the TinyX option is chosen. The
Slinky installer is a series of scripts that are started off either by
booting from the floppy created by rawrite with slinky-v0.3.96.img or
by booting from the floppy created by rawrite with pcmcia.img (if a
pcmcia device needs to be activated for the install) or by booting
from the cd created by burning slinky-v0.3.96.iso (if your bios provides
a boot from cd option.)

Early in the first phase of the install the question is asked "Later in
the install, we'll need to load the stage 2 scripts. Please select location
[ floppy / cdrom ] :". If you are going to use the slinky cd anyway (for
the 486 kernel package, for example) then the correct answer here is
"cdrom" and you don't have to bother downloading disk2.img.

No matter what hardware you have and no matter what options you choose
you will always require access to Redhat cd 1 and Redhat cd 2 (or the rpm
packages that these contain.) Redhat cd 3 contains many useful rpm packages
also but Slinky does not use them.

Most options offered by slinky are self explanatory. To see exactly what
Slinky will do with any of these you can have a "peek" as follows:

Once the Slinky script prompts for the first Redhat cd it waits until you
insert it and press enter. Before you do this hold down the Alt-key and press
the F2-key. This takes you to a second virtual terminal. Press enter. Use
the ls command to list /root/scripts (I have forgotten what the exact
structure is underneath, but at some point below that you will see subdirectories
9 and 8.0. Under the appropriate Redhat version number that you are working with
is a set of files listing the individual packages that Slinky is going to use.

After you have seen enough type the command exit to deactivate this second
virtual terminal and hold down the Alt-key and press the F1-key. This takes
you back to the install where you left off. It is now safe to insert the first
Redhat cd as asked.

Lastly, a note on TinyX. If some gui apps are to be run in spite of the aging
hardware, TinyX provides a good possibility since a full but smaller footprint
X window system than XFree86 is installed and two very light window managers
are also installed, ice and fluxbox. You can choose to use one or the other.
Just edit the .xinitrc file in the home directory. Slinky sets ice to start.

Richard