[RULE] TinyX/Kdrive configuration

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sun Jul 27 07:17:38 EEST 2003

On Wednesday 23 July 2003 10:41 am, James Miller (office) wrote:
> I managed to get RULE to install last night, with just a few hitches.
> I'm trying to get X running now.  Kudzu detected my video card
> correctly and seemed to be setting it up fine.  I expected to have to
> go through some configuration process for the display, like with XFree,
> but have not been able to discover the command to do that yet.

(Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town for a week.)

The kdrive servers do not use a configuration file of any kind. You can
pass options to the server on the command line, however.

How did you install TinyX? Did you install it on it's own, or as part of
the "Slinky" install? If TinyX is selected during the slinky install,
then X should "just work". This does however assume that your video
hardware is supported by the kdrive servers.
[...]

> the box"?  Can anyone point me to helpful documentation about
> TinyX/Kdrive?  Typing "startx" from the command line, btw, seems to be
> starting something (first time I tried it I got the crosshatched
> background and an "X" representing the cursor - though I could not move
> the X by moving the mouse) but then the display just goes dark and
> nothing more happens.  Subsequent
> attempts have led to just a dark, blank screen - no crosshatches or
> X's.  Hitting ctrl-alt-F1 (the terminal where I ran "startx") shows an
> error message with fatal server error.  Not knowing whether any
> configuration for TinyX/Kdrive is required, I'm not sure how to
> interpret this error message: is it the result of a missing or
> erroneous config file?  That seems like the first issue to resolve.
> Input on the matter will be appreciated.

Can you provide the error message in detail? You can grab a screenshot of
the console and write it to a floppy like so:
Insert a floppy, then enter:
mount /mnt/floppy
Change to VT2 (using alt + F2) and then enter:
cat /dev/vcs1 > /mnt/floppy/out.file

Can you also provide a few other details?
The output of the following commands:
rpm -qa | grep XFree
ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/X

The following files: