[RULE] TinyX/Kdrive configuration

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Thu Jul 31 14:10:58 EEST 2003

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 04:50 pm, James Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Michael Fratoni wrote:

> Installed as part of a Slinky install (from the ISO).  Video board is
> Trio64v+ (2MB) PCI.  Monitor is an older Epson EVGA.  I've gotten a
> decent display out of this arrangement on other Linuces using the xsvga
> server and entering in the right refresh rates (found by trial and
> error).
>
> > Can you provide the error message in detail? You can grab a
> > screenshot of the console and write it to a floppy like so:
> > Insert a floppy, then enter:
> > mount /mnt/floppy
> > Change to VT2 (using alt + F2) and then enter:
> > cat /dev/vcs1 > /mnt/floppy/out.file
>
> I'll just try the old-fashioned method :)
>
> -------begin startx error output------------------
> hostname: Unknown host
>
> Interrupt pointer doesn't point at ROM ->(this message 4 times)
> Fatal server error
> no screens found
> XIO: Fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
> after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining
> ---------end startx error output-------------------

It looks as though your hardware and tinyx don't get along. We had another
user who had this same error message with TinyX. You can try using the
stock X server, which should work. Just run:
/root/scripts/restoreX and then run "redhat-config-xfree86"

[...]
> Before going on to provide other error messages as asked, let me
> mention a couple of more things.  The message "spurious 8259A interrupt
> IRQ 7" appears among the text at bootup (and under dmesg).  I've seen
> this message with other Linuces I've installed on this machine as well.
>  I'm not sure if it's at all relevant.

Probably not related, I've seen it as well.

>  Also, the CD drive was acting
> up a bit (a couple of error messages) during the install, so I can't
> totally exclude the possibility that I might have some corrupted files
> on the drive.

Check /root/scripts/install.log for rpm related install errors.

> > ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/X
>
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Jun 15 21:11
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X -> /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa
>
> > The following files:
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
>
> How?  Can I send attachments to this list?  Do I send this to you
> personally?

You can send it off list, but it's not important. It will be replaced by
the restoreX script anyway.

> > /home/(username)/.xinitrc
>
> I'm trying to run X as root: I haven't added any users yet.  There is
> no .xinitrc in root's home dir.

You shouldn't run X as root. That said, you will need a .xinitrc file so X
knows what window manager to load. You can copy
/etc/skel/.xinitrc to /root/.xinitrc

Good luck, please keep me posted.

Red Hat Linux 7.{2,3}|8.0|9 in 8M of RAM: www.rule-project.org