[RULE] Mozilla components

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at mail.ariadne-t.gr
Fri Aug 8 00:51:48 EEST 2003

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 08:51:56 -0400
"Jason Bechtel" <jasonbechtel at care2.com> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I know that version 0.1 has only just been
> released, but have you tried Mozilla Thunderbird,
> yet?  I've always had good experiences with using
> the Mozilla suite's mail reader and composer.  I
> would expect it to handle charsets properly.  If
> you can manage to get it installed on your test
> machine somehow, it might be something that will
> work for your needs.
>
> Jason

Hello Jason

I haven't tried Thunderbird but I have tried Firebird 0.6 and Galeon (cannot remember which version.)

In the days of Netscape 4.x I had everyone in the school I worked at use the whole suite.

However, at the moment a good but small app is the goal. Firebird (which I downloaded from one of the Mozilla pages) comes in binary form wrapped up with tar and gzip. The only additional dependency needed with Shrike installed by Slinky was the package from cd1 called compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.118.i386.rpm (Michael's "mozilla_packages" list helped me find this out.)

I am using Firebird and Sylpheed for all the browsing and e-mail on the "rule-101" box and all is going well (with the exceptions mentioned in an earlier post) but when the same combo of apps was attempted on an old clunker 486 (yet to be reported here) Firebird took far too long. (Icewm and Sylpheed seemed reasonable, though.)

Dillo is probably the only X brwser that will pass on that box, but that is just speculation at the moment. (Watch this space.)

Richard