[RULE] Re: My 486 won't boot

C David Rigby cdrigby at 9online.fr
Sat Aug 16 10:09:59 EEST 2003

Daniell,
	To isolate the problem, here are some things to try:

1)  Reset the BIOS.  Often there is an option in the BIOS menu to do
this, but I prefer to remove the backup battery and leave it out for
about 10 minutes.  This assumes that it is not soldered to the
motherboard, which is sometimes the case on older equipment.

1)  Disconnect the hard drives and cdrom drive.  It doesn't help much in
doing the installation, of course, but it might allow you to boot from
diskette in the floppy drive.  The value of this is to determine if
there is a problem with the floppy drive.  If it will boot okay without
the hard drives, then possibly one of them is a problem.  You mentioned
that the MSD report was incorrect, and that you actually have a total of
450 MB of storage available.  The MS report shows a hard drive of 380MB
and a hard drive of 20MB, which do not add up to 450.  If the system
boots with no drive except a floppy, reinstall each hard drive one at a
time, making sure to configure it as a single or master drive.

CDRigby