King_Henree's 3c509 (Was Re: [RULE] My 486 won't boot.)

C David Rigby cdrigby at 9online.fr
Sat Aug 16 10:31:54 EEST 2003

King_Henree,
	You might try to configure the 3c509 manually.  Go to 3Com's page for
the downloads for this card:

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result.jsp?selected=all&sort=effdt&sku=3C509&order=desc

and download the file 3c509x2.exe and make the diskette.  You will need
also a DOS or Win9x bootable floppy if the machine you are working on
does not have a DOS or Win9x OS operating system.  If it has Win9x, you
must restart the system in DOS mode in order to use the 3Com disk.

The program 3c5x9cfg.exe (I think that is the correct one) will allow
you to turn off PnP support on the NIC and set a specific IRQ and I/O
address for the card.  It is also reasonably adept at determining if
another device in the system is using a given irq or i/o address.

Once that is done, you can use a command such as

modprobe 3c509 io=0x300 irq=5

or however you set those values.  If it works, you can add the
information to your /etc/modules.conf file to be invoked at boot time.

CDRigby