[RULE] Re: State of the RULE and Slinky-Files wanted

C David Rigby cdrigby at 9online.fr
Mon Aug 25 13:20:36 EEST 2003

Michael,
	I had a problem with slinky-v0.3.97.img for which I found a
work-around.  Please let me know if I did something goofy that caused
the problem in the first place.  Note that I have not done the obvious
stuff like downloading the tarball again!

	I unpacked the tarball and created the boot disk in the usual fashion
with dd (all files & directories relative to the slinky_devel
directory):

	as root:
	./makedisk.sh
	not root:
	dd if=slinky-v0.3.97/slinky-v0.3.97.img of=/dev/fd0

	When I booted the system (the computer named runaway in the testing
farm) with this disk, after the RAMDISK was loaded, I got an error
message to the effect that the system "could not open initial console."

	It turned out that the problem was that there was no /dev/console in
the root filesystem in the disk image.  The quick workaround was to
simply copy the /dev/* directory structure from slinky-v0.3.96.img to
slinky-v0.3.97.  After that, the system booted fine.  Details of the
workaround are shown below.

-----------------

1. Created mount points /mnt/loop0 and /mnt/loop1.
2. Mounted the respective bootdisk images with these commands:

	mount -o loop slinky-v0.3.96.img /mnt/loop0
	mount -o loop slinky-v0.3.97.img /mnt/loop1

3. Copied out the rootfs.gz files from each image into a working
directory:

	mkdir rootfs96
	mkdir rootfs97
	cp /mnt/loop0/rootfs.gz rootfs96
	cp /mnt/loop1/rootfs.gz rootfs97

4. Uncompressed them:

	gunzip rootfs96/rootfs.gz
	gunzip rootfs97/rootfs.gz

5. Moved the bootdisk images off of the loopback mountpoints and mounted
the root filesystem images:

	umount /mnt/loop0
	umount /mnt/loop1
	mount -o loop rootfs96/rootfs /mnt/loop0
	mount -o loop rootfs97/rootfs /mnt/loop1

6. Copied the /dev/* directory structure from '96 to '97:

	cp /mnt/loop0/dev/* /mnt/loop1/dev

7. Unmounted the root filesystem images:

	umount /mnt/loop0
	umount /mnt/loop1

8. Recompressed the '97 image:

	gzip rootfs97/rootfs

9. Mounted slinky-v0.3.97.img and copied rootfs.gz back onto it:

	mount -o loop slinky-v0.3.97 /mnt/loop1
	cp rootfs97/rootfs.gz /mnt/loop1

10. Unmounted the bootdisk image and wrote it to floppy:

	umount /mnt/loop1
	dd if=/slinky-v0.3.97.img of=/dev/fd0

It booted okay after that.

Thanks