[RULE] Kernel loading problems (CD-install)

C David Rigby cdrigby at 9online.fr
Sat Aug 30 10:37:02 EEST 2003

Daniel,
	Do you actually have a working MS-DOS installation on the DOS-partition
on which you have XOSL installed?  How much space do you have assigned
to it, and how much space do you have assigned to the Linux partition?
Let's make sure that it is not a question of running out of space during
installation...

	Other comments:

	Am I correct in understanding that xosl WILL boot the RedHat 8 CD, but
it WILL NOT boot the slinky-v0.3.96 CD?  That would be the 27 MB
download...  The CD must have been created okay if you can get at least
part of the way through an installation using it as your source for the
packages.

You indicate below that you skipped the "fdisk/cfdisk" options, but I
haven't ever done that, so I am not sure what the implications are.
Regardless, are you still being offered the option to format your
partitions by the installer?  If so, are you actually formatting them?

Yes, the 27MB download IS a problem for a lot of people.  The kernel
needed to boot a 386 or 486 machine is available from RedHat as an
update, but not as part of the standard installation CDs, as of RedHat
9.  However, a 386/486 kernel is present on RedHat 8, disk #3.  It's
name is kernel-BOOT-2.4.18-14.i386.rpm.

If you read some of the mailing list messages over the last week or so,
you'll see that some of us have been debating the general issue of
kernels.  The problem for us is that RedHat no longer officially
supports any processor less than a Pentium for the ix86 architecture.
So, as support for the older hardware disappears from the official
release, we try to find ways to compensate ourselves.