[RULE] Re: i18n (was Abiword 1.0.4 on rulified system does not find dictionary)

Ingo Lantschner ingo.lists at vum.at
Fri Sep 5 18:17:27 EEST 2003

Hi all,
could not resist to start with this. I have now written a very, very
simple install_fr.sh, which switches the Slinky installed sstem to french:

---- install_fr.sh -----
#!/bin/sh
# This script installs files and changes settings for a system using the
French language
rpm -ivh   /mnt/cdrom/vumadd/aspell/aspell-fr-0.6-8.i386.rpm 2>>  \
root/scripts/install_log
cp -f /mnt/cdrom/vumadd/i18n/fr/keyboard  /etc/sysconfig/keyboard 2>> \
/root/scripts/install_log
cp -f /mnt/cdrom/vumadd/i18n/fr/i18n  /etc/sysconfig/i18n 2>> \
/root/scripts/install_log

---------------------------

What I do not like so much, is that this script relies on other files, I
have to create at the right place (f.e. i18n). It seems as if there are
other solutions, where the files are created by the script (and not just
copied). I have seen something in setup.sh

--- snip -----
> # Create /etc/sysconfig/i18n
> i18n=/newroot/etc/sysconfig/i18n
>
> cat<<EOF >> $i18n
> LANG="en_US"
> SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
> SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
> EOF

What I do not understand is this cat<<EOF and the ending EOF. I looked
already in my books but could not find an explanation. May be someone
can give me a short hint, than I can provide scripts for at least fr and
de.

Generally I think it is better to provide extra scripts outside for
switching language and /or locale. The main advantage I see is that
these scripts can be created and maintaioned by different people
balancing the workload.

Bye, Ingo.