[RULE] gcc not included in RULE?

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Wed Sep 17 23:46:33 EEST 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 10:50:22 at 10:50:22AM -0400, Justin Bowen  jbowen at pulau.com  wrote:

> I just downloaded blackbox and did a ./configure and realized that
> it couldn't find gcc.  Is there a 'rulified' version of the gcc
> suite (forgive me as I'm a little unfamiliar with what's involved in
> installing gcc).  Should I just download it from somewhere?  Thanks

Justin,

the development environment is not installed (Michael correct me here
if needed) simply because the assumption is that a very limited
computer would only be used/useable as server or basic desktop.

Said this, the beauty of the RULE approach (trim an existing complete
distro, don't make a new one) is that there is probably no need for a
'rulified' version of gcc. If you have enough disk space and RAM to
install and run it, you can just install it from the standard Red Hat
RPMs.

If you have another complete Red Hat workstation, you can compile
there and install on the RULE box the resulting RPMs (but I guess this
is not what you are interested in, is it?)

Now, a 'rulified' version of gcc may be something that can compile
only what you need, for example C/C++ source for x86 targets. No
fortran, other CPUs, etc... I have no idea how much less RAM and disk
such a thing would need, and if it would be worth it.

The right way to obtain it for Red Hat would be to take the source
RPMs of gcc, make, whatever...., and rebuild the binary packages with
only the needed functionalities. If somebody decides to try, let us
know what happens!

Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

                                                       R. A. Heinlein