[RULE] kdrive update

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at mail.ariadne-t.gr
Wed Oct 15 14:01:54 EEST 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:09:20 +0200
"M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti at inwind.it> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> thanks for the good job. At a quick reading, I have only one note, see
> below:
>
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 16:52:06 at 04:52:06PM +0300, Kweskin Richard  rkwesk at mail.ariadne-t.gr  wrote:
>
> >         On the cons side, it doesn't use the xfs font server, and
> >         doesn't support true type fonts.

This is just one of the bits of existing documentation that I know nothing about and thus left it just as it was. The few bits I do know about were either expanded on or altered.

Airing it here on the list will hopefully get the combined knowledge to eliminate known errors and will generate comments that lead to a more clear documentation.

> I don't remember about true type, but the advantage of modern Linux
> applications (and, of course, of RULE which want to stay current, not
> resort to old SW) is that they do client side fonts with the
> xft2/fontconfig libraries. See my talk with Keith Packard, author of
> them *and* kdrive for this:
>
> http://www.rule-project.org/en/docs/kdrive_xft2.php
>
> In other words, it seems possible to have a mix of kdrive and properly
> configured xft2-enabled applications which simply don't need a font
> server.

I will incorporate this into the second draft and post it back.

> For the record, the standard xterm in Red Hat 9 can do non alphabetic
> stuff just for its use of the above libraries. To test it, download:
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/examples/UTF-8-demo.txt and do
> "more UTF-8-demo.txt" in a shell started with this command:
>
> uxterm -fn -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--18-120-100-100-c-90-iso10646-1
>
> Of course, this should be tested, also to see if and how much it
> impacts performances.
>
> Any comment?

After I get a chance to investigate this further I will add this also. Thank you for the quick response.

Richard