[RULE] Hello!

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Oct 16 21:05:05 EEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 10:10, DervishD wrote:
>     Hi Michael :)
>
>  * Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> dixit:
> > Since someone else hi - I think I will as well.
>
>     Nice ;))
>
> > I don't think I will, though - my CD has boot options (in addition
> > to install) for gag (a really good boot loader
>
>     I'm interested in alternative boot loaders. I really don't like
> LILO, but GRUB is tricky sometimes and I've don't tested gujin as
> well as I would like.
>
>     Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

what gag does (It stands for graphical boot loader in Español - the
Author I think is in Spain) is install to the mbr and then boots tells
the bios what partition to boot - and it can lie to the bios too, so
that you can boot DOS from partitions it normally can't boot from.

It doesn't alleviate the need for lilo with Linux, though - it just
means lilo installs to the first track of the root partition, not to the
MBR.

I prefer this because if I have three linux installs, they each have
there own lilo - which means I don't have to keep all the lilo.conf
files in sync and don't have to have a common /boot partition etc.

gag is also a very good looking boot loader -
http://gag.sourceforge.net/gagn3.gif

Since I started my computing in the Apple world, I like things that
"look good" ;)