[RULE] Linux Kernel for RULE

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Fri Oct 17 08:40:57 EEST 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 14:14:32 at 02:14:32PM +0200, DervishD  raul at pleyades.net  wrote:
>     Hi all :)
>
>     I've subscribed to this list due to a message by Marco in LKML.
> Well, I think I can help a bit with RULE, although I don't use any
> Linux distro (I have a do-it-yourself Linux box).

One background note for the list about the message Raul refers to.

Last week I temporarily subscribed to the Linux Kernel Mailing list
for reasons unrelated to RULE. I mentioned in my introductory message
there that we would like kernel tips to increase performance on low
end hardware. See the "State of the RULE october 2003" news, linked
from our web page, for something about that.

A couple of days later I read in a message about testing the kernel
with 16 MB of RAM that "unbloating the kernel was useless, since today
all the rest is so bloated anyway that nobody would notice"

I immediately stepped in to make our point: search the LKML archives
of this week at vger.kernel.org for a message from me titled
"Unbloating the kernel".

I have received several promising feedback, including possibilities to
receive suggestions to keep light both the current and future 2.6
kernels for situations like RULE. We'll see.

In the meantime, sharing here every tip about how to recompile the
kernel in standard Red Hat Source RPMs and/or configure it later for
higher performance is welcome.

Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

The whole world is a tuxedo and you are a pair of brown shoes.
                -- George Gobel