[RULE] Linux Kernel for RULE

DervishD raul at pleyades.net
Fri Oct 17 12:05:41 EEST 2003

    Hi Marco :)

 * M. Fioretti <m.fioretti at inwind.it> dixit:
> >     I've subscribed to this list due to a message by Marco in LKML.
[...]
> I have received several promising feedback, including possibilities to
> receive suggestions to keep light both the current and future 2.6
> kernels for situations like RULE. We'll see.

    IMHO, except a few linux hackers who thinks that Linux should
only run on 64-way multiprocessor systems with 1 terabyte of RAM and
a raid of 128 10TB SCSI hard disks, the rest admit that Linux should
run in as many systems as possible.

    Me, I think that it should run on machines where the other
operating systems will just crawl, if boot at all. When I first used
Linux I had a AMD386DX-40, with 4 megs of RAM, a pretty good machine
for that time, and I used OS/2. It runs fine, and its WinDOS emulator
run faster than the true WinDOS. But when I installed Linux, I was
*amazed* by the speed at the console. And by the huge amount of
programs for the console. It opened my eyes... Now, I program with
small systems in mind, no the 64-way SMP boxes, and I try to use the
less resources possible without sacrificing portability, readability,
etc... It's possible, I ensure you that.

    Obviously, the Linux kernel has grown, and its requirements in
memory and CPU use has, too. But it still run on modest machines with
decent performance, and with some work, it may run on even more
modest ones. As Marco say, is just a matter on taking an eye on the
development ;))

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736