[RULE] Hi everybody

James Miller jamtat at mailsnare.net
Fri Oct 17 22:08:44 EEST 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, M. Fioretti wrote:

> 1) As Raul remembered just yesterday, the problem is NOT in the
>    distribution. If GNOME, KDE, Mozilla, and so on, are
>    inherently... overfeatured, shall we say, people without a lot of
>    time and skills will not gain that much switching distro. Period.

I guess I was suggesting that there might be reasons apart from
overfeatured apps that might tilt things in the direction of Debian.  To
try and put it concisely, I suppose I would have to say that the way
Debian is made to install has a leg up, in my view, on RH/Fedora.  And
there are some substantial differences there.  But these things are to
some extent subjective, and I'm not really in a position (being not
terribly well-informed myself) to examine in fine detail the pros and cons
of each.  I've just been using Debian for about the last year, and have
come to appreciate what it has to offer that other distros don't.  Now
that I've aired those opinions - back to more learning!

>    If, on the other hand, we make kdrive widely known and documented,
>    and figure out how to recompile functional, not bloated apps, every
>    distro can build on that. For the record, I'm trying in these days
>    to do this on abiword: lightweight, but compiled by default to
>    require Gnome... :-( . I'll report to the list when I'm done.

Ugh.  I'm a pessimist.  I've mentioned the BasicLinux (BL) project I've
been involved with on this list.  We had hoped to - as the Mac development
team did - find out how to get Konqueror to function without all the . . .
let's say "stuff" that it doesn't really need from KDE.  We didn't get
very far.  You almost need to be asking the folks that develop this stuff
to retro-engineer things they're creatying to try and change the world.
They might view this as mildly insulting, to say the least.  But
I'm glad someone takes an optomistic approach, and I do believe the
computing world - both dragging and cutting edges - will be better off if
you succeed in this and other like tasks.

>    In addition to this, I, Michael and others have to use it anyway on
>    the job and never had the time to practice other distros.

I sometimes I wish I had a job using Linux.  For me, it's "recreational"
and even interferes with my regular work (finishing my humanities degree).

> 3) Last but not least, everybody willing to start "RULE for
> (slackware/mandrake/debian/whatever"), just come in and restart from
> the installer in a dedicate subproject. He'll be welcome!

Now there's an interesting idea!  I'll have to think over that one some
more.  Thanks for your feedback.

James