[RULE] Bloated software: solutions?

DervishD raul at pleyades.net
Sat Oct 18 02:10:06 EEST 2003

    Hi Marco :)

 * M. Fioretti <m.fioretti at inwind.it> dixit:
> > After that, go for the kernel. But believe me: you won't need to
> > touch any line of code there. The best you can do is making sure you
> > have a sensible configuration, putting into modules as much as you
> > can and make a lean kernel with many features.
> Precisely. That's why my highest ambition, as far as RULE and the
> Linux kernel are concerned, is to have somebody telling us how to
> tweak the Red Hat kernel RPM spec file to achieve just what you say.

    I can help to some extent to make a config file for the kernel
with a minimum built in, the rest as modules. But please note two
things:

    - In my machine, performance won't degrade with things like
journalling file systems, strange memory management, etc... And
currently I don't have physical access to an old machine, so I'm not
able to know if some specific option in the kernel will make a
machine slow to a crawl :(((

    - I'm clueless with RH specs file, so I cannot make one. In fact,
modifying one scares me. RH scares me. I'm a Debian-like boy, sorry.
I don't maintain deb packages, neither. Have I told that they scare
me too?

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736