[RULE] Reflections on a Debianized RULE (or RULE'ized Debian?)

DervishD raul at pleyades.net
Mon Oct 20 20:19:59 EEST 2003

    Hi James :)

 * James Miller (office) <jamtat at mailsnare.net> dixit:
> I'm totally the wrong guy for this

    After reading your entire message, I don't think you're the wrong
guy. Your ideas are very interesting.

> 6) a pathological hatred of Bill Gates and his evil empire (just
> kidding - it's actually more of a morbid aversion :) ).

    Good XDDDDD

> In that respect (if the routine really works as advertised) one of
> Debian's major shortcomings RULE-wise is answered: it becomes much
> easier to install.

    Maybe I'm very familiar with installing Debian, but I don't find
the installation as painful as it is supposed to be. Nonetheless, I
think that the easier the installation for newbies, the better. RULE
can help Debian in that sense. Debian installation is not for newbies
:(((

> Debian doesn't need to have a new, low-memory installation routine
> created; it needs to have the existing routine made easier.

    Exactly!. I mean: I like the current installation routine in
Debian, but I admit that a newbie would be happier with an easier
one.

> I suppose we cannot neglect the fact that RH's install routine
> is more memory intensive *precisely because* of an attempt to ease
> installation.  True?

    Not. I don't think so. People think that software power means CPU
power and lot's of RAM. Graphics needs that, not software power. You
can do an installation routine, easy to use, in curses. And that way,
you don't need lots of RAM nor a 8GHz CPU.

> But one thing a RULE-ized Debian could use and which already exists
> for RH RULE is a listing of programs that work well on older
> hardware.

    In fact, you can use the current installation program of Debian
with your own list of .deb packages, so this is not very difficult
(although will require a bit of work...).

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736