[RULE] Testmail vs Popfilter

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Fri Oct 24 20:02:50 EEST 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 08:48:26 at 08:48:26AM -0400, Jason Bechtel  jasonbechtel at care2.com  wrote:

> Hi, guys.  I've been reading over the site and read your page on
> Popfilter:
>
> <http://www.rule-project.org/en/sw/popfilter.php>
>
> I also happen to have recently read this article on Linux Journal:
>
> <http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7121>
>
> It covers a very similar project called "Testmail".  I haven't tried
> either so I can't comment on usability, etc., but perhaps you should
> give it a try.  It might be a worthy replacement for Popfilter.

Holy cow, you suggested a script I wrote to be replaced... How do you
dare? The gods of computing will scratch your hard disks forever!

Seriously now. Thanks for the link. I had already seen the testmail
article, but not tried it yet. There are also other programs for the
same task. IIRC, I listed them in the popfilter page. What I wanted to
add when I wrote popfilter was:

1) easy way to update the blacklist from *within* the mail client
2) some timestamp feature so that blacklist entries older than N days
   are canceled automatically if wanted. If I'm not interested in
   topic FOO today it doesn't mean it will always be like so.

point 1) can be done for most programs of course, probably also
testmail. I never got around polishing popfilter, and to implement
fully point 2)

What is important to RULE users, of course, is to know as many
alternatives as possible to lower their phone bill and make the most
of their connection: hence, the more we spread the knowledge of all
these tools the better.

Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans
                                                 (John Lennon)