[RULE] FWD: from Kinshasa

DervishD raul at pleyades.net
Wed Oct 29 18:01:07 EET 2003

    Hi Ingo and Marco :)

 * M. Fioretti <m.fioretti at inwind.it> dixit:
> the root partition because he doesnt know that it is on a scsi
> partition. how can i tell the kernel that?

    If the kernel doesn't have *native* support (not on a module) for
scsi disks, you're lost :(( The only solution is building a new
kernel, or with an initrd (I can't help you in that, sorry).

> i have allready an idea, tell me if i'm right. i think i have to
> copy the modules to /lib/modules/..../scsi and edit the
> modules.conf file.

    Won't work. Think about it: you boot a kernel without scsi
support. Well, since you don't have scsi support you cannot mount the
root filesystem. If you cannot mount the root fs, you cannot access
it in order to load modules...

    IMHO your best bet is to rebuild the kernel with scsi support for
your SCSI hostadapter. If you want to try the initrd alternative,
Google for it: I haven't done any initrd myself and don't know a
word about it, sorry. And anyway, feel free to ask on LKML ;))

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736