[RULE] More config questions from Congo

James Miller (office) jamtat at mailsnare.net
Fri Nov 7 16:40:04 EET 2003

> From: "Markus Nicolussi" <mcwimpy at gmx.at>
>
> 1.) making it possilbe to life one half or one jear in Kinshasa and
> working in a social Organisation witch supports street children. For
> this there exists a parntership with the austrian NGO "Grenzenlos"
> (Borderless). but also

Sorry to sound nitpicky about language, but a witch is an old lady that
rides around on a broom in late October casting evils spells on
unsuspecting folk and making frightful stews from frog eyes, bat wings,
newt hairs (didn't know until now that newts had hairs, eh?) and beetle
ears (the recipe varies slightly from witch to witch, as I understand it).
"Which," on the other hand, is the English relative pronoun.  Otherwise,
your work sounds exciting and inspiring.

> I'd like to ask a question:
>
> We have around 60-70 PCs here which are running rulified/vumboxed RH9.
> (which we'll add by time to your test-database :-)
>
> Some of the machines have serial mouses like Logitech or MS-Mouse
> 2.0A. They work after some configuration steps with
> redhat-config-mouse for the console, but not with tinyX. (MS Mouse
> 2.1A does!) After consulting "man Xvesa" and the "man Xkdrive" i only
> found the options -2button and -3button to tell tinyX anything about
> mice.
>
> Are there any other possibilitys to configure the mouse with tinyX? Or
> can anybody tell me anything about this?

I saw the following on another listserv recently:

"While I was snooping around in the Kdrive information (Keith Packard's
web site), I thought that I saw support was included for some Serial Mice.
The user should link his /dev/mouse symlink to the appropriate serial port
(either /dev/ttyS0 - COM1, or /dev/ttyS1 - COM2) and call XVesa
mouse=/dev/mouse,2 instead of /dev/psaux,2"

The author sounded kind of unsure of himself.  I haven't tried it, so I
can't say if it works either.  But it may be worth a shot.

James