[RULE] Which scripts to use to create RULE ISO?

Ingo Lantschner ingo.lists at vum.at
Thu Feb 19 17:12:58 EET 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:46:24 +0100, Marco Fioretti <m.fioretti at inwind.it>
wrote:

>> How to make a Custom Slinky ISO (like this one, the so called vum:BOX):
>> Quotaing Michael Fratoni  mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net :
>> To build your own ISO:
>> o $ cd slinky_devel
>>          (Poke around, change things, be careful...)
>
> This is one piece missing, documentation wise: for example,
> what if one wants to replace some packages with others (sendmail with
> postfix) or their updated versions,  ie stuff which doesn't exist in the
> standard RH CDs?
well, ... , yes, ... I do not have the slightest idea how this could be
done - my aproach was not to touch Michaels work and just work with a
postinst.sh, which could even be used to fix some minor bugs, from the
original Slinky. (Fetching missing rpms, ...)

For the future: I think we should continue this way, that the base-slinky
is maintained by the Master himself, and others keep their fingers out of
it. But to add f.e. Abiword2 I would install it with postinst.sh. But may
be that I am completly wrong and we can find a more elegant way.

>> o edit version.h, define version as something NOT rule like.
>>          (I don't want bug reports on images I know nothing about)
>> o Get ready to build the images
>
> This is the second piece missing: the  makedisk.sh script copies into
> a boot floppy what is in the filesystem directory, but how do you build
> *that*?
> With the latest slinky?
Hope that Michael can answer that - I do not know, sorry.

Bye, Ingo.