[RULE] Call to arms and requirements for the website

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Feb 21 01:09:02 EET 2004

At 05:29 2/20/2004, you wrote:
>         Looking at your requirements, all reasonable, I realize that my
> suggesiton of Drupal may be a bit heavy-weight.  One all too often
> forgets that not all the world does not have high-speed access.

I gotta say, looking at Marco's requirements, I realize my suggestion of
volunteering some time and effort to help with the website may have been
premature. That's a lot of stuff there. As you mentioned, all reasonable...
but quite more than a mouthful for the time I have right now.

>2)  What sort of resources are available in terms of a server?  In other
>words:
>
>3)  Are we intent on Apache/PHP/MySQL and do we have the
>(hardware/software) resources to support it, or is something more
>"lightweight" possible or desirable?

The box is a Celeron 1.3GHz server with 512MB of RAM and a 60GB hard drive.
It is a dedicated server leased from RackShack (http://www.ev1servers.net)
and has a quota of 700GB traffic per month, of which we are currently using
less than half, I think. The box runs Cpanel, a quite nice webhosting
control panel, based on exim as a mailserver and Apache/MySQL for web and
database. Perl and PHP are of course available as well.

I hesitate to install a bunch of other stuff server-wide since my partner
and I do have about 80 paying customers (all very small websites) on that
server. However, anything which can be configured entirely within the
bounds of what the control panel allows for one webhosting client is
entirely permissible. So, for example, something like phpGroupware which
simply creates a set of pages served by Apache would be A-OK.

I can also significantly increase the disk space and bandwidth limitations
for RULE since our provider also increased our limit (the old one was
400GB). I would suggest taking advantage of that to host the website, the
ISO files, the FTP tree, the tarballs, and even the mailing lists all on
the same server then mirroring out to whomever pleases.

Anything beyond what I've mentioned here is also open to discussion (and
I'll try to oblige if at all possible), but no promises at this point.
Anything which involves the words "security risk" will of course be shot on
sight, and its family persecuted.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com