[RULE] Call to arms and requirements for the website

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sat Feb 21 01:51:33 EET 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 17:09:02 PM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz  rpaiz at simpaticus.com  wrote:
> At 05:29 2/20/2004, you wrote:
> >        Looking at your requirements, all reasonable, I realize that my
> >suggesiton of Drupal may be a bit heavy-weight.  One all too often
> >forgets that not all the world does not have high-speed access.
>
> I gotta say, looking at Marco's requirements, I realize my suggestion of
> volunteering some time and effort to help with the website may have been
> premature. That's a lot of stuff there. As you mentioned, all reasonable...
> but quite more than a mouthful for the time I have right now.

Same here :-), hence the problem.

Summarizing, I think there are two ways. Either installing some CMS
system and using only what we need, or writing by hand 10/12 PHP/MySQL
forms. The problem is that both solutions need to be implemented by
somebody that knows the chosen one much better than me, to avoid
wasting 80% of the time in trial and errors.

Again, is somebody can say for sure "Drupal or whatever else can do
all Marco listed, it's just a matter of configuring it, and I know how
to do it" it's OK for me (always if Rodolfo says installation is
feasible, of course).

As far as bandwidth and CPU usage are concerned, I'd say that
realistically, there is still quite some time before we can put a too
heavy load on that CPU. Bandwidth wise, the iso might certainly become
a problem, but mirroring (we can restore savannah's directory, and
Vego also has space) might lessen that burden enough, I hope.

Open to suggestions,

Ciao,
	Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

The whole world is a tuxedo and you are a pair of brown shoes.
                -- George Gobel