[RULE] RULE minimum hw requirements

Jason Bechtel jasonbechtel at care2.com
Tue Feb 24 05:36:11 EET 2004

To my limited knowledge, most 386s were equipped
with between 4MB and 12MB of RAM.  This is really
very little, but it should still be enough to
accomplish something useful.

Remember that, by default, LTSP uses the host
OS's existing subsystems (DNS, DHCP, NFS, XDMCP,
etc.).  All LTSP is is a way of synthesizing all
of these disparate services into a network boot
environment capable of serving diskless clients.
 There's no reason you couldn't have the
terminals run kdrive instead of the server's
regular X server.  I think that with 8MB of RAM,
local swap, and kdrive, you could have a passable
diskless client running Linux.

I am biased toward LTSP, though.  There are other
projects that take the minimal local OS install
approach.  I just don't have any experience with
those projects, so I don't know how well they can
make a 386 perform.

Jason