[RULE] RULE minimum hw requirements

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at hellug.gr
Tue Feb 24 15:27:46 EET 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:36:11 -0500
"Jason Bechtel" <jasonbechtel at care2.com> wrote:

> To my limited knowledge, most 386s were equipped
> with between 4MB and 12MB of RAM.  This is really
> very little, but it should still be enough to
> accomplish something useful.

The 386's I first mentioned are mostly Compaq Deskpros (I can see 6 of these but there may be more tucked away somewhere.) I recall that they had only 2 MB of ram each and a 60 MB hdd. They may have run Windows 3.1 but they were definitely networked using the older daisy chain thing (no hub.) The intention is to acquire some space (hopefully before June!) and run various tests with interested teenagers. I know next to nothing about Gnu/Linux and found this project (RULE) to be a great way to get into things. Hopefully the others who join me here in Greece will feel the same way.

Sorry, this was a long winded way of saying that any ideas anyone has will definitely be pursued, but must wait the setting up. The excitement of group work and discovery is too tempting to jump the gun now for. Is this okay?

> Remember that, by default, LTSP uses the host
> OS's existing subsystems (DNS, DHCP, NFS, XDMCP,
> etc.).  All LTSP is is a way of synthesizing all
> of these disparate services into a network boot
> environment capable of serving diskless clients.
>  There's no reason you couldn't have the
> terminals run kdrive instead of the server's
> regular X server.  I think that with 8MB of RAM,
> local swap, and kdrive, you could have a passable
> diskless client running Linux.
>
> I am biased toward LTSP, though.  There are other
> projects that take the minimal local OS install
> approach.  I just don't have any experience with
> those projects, so I don't know how well they can
> make a 386 perform.
>
> Jason

The aforementioned 386's are just some of the older hw at our disposal. There are many 486's (perhaps 20!) of various types and configurations and 3 classic pentiums. All of which, it is intended, are to be experimented with in all the ways that have been mentioned together with whatever else turns up. The fingers are kept firmly crossed over acquiring and setting up the space as quickly as possible. Lots of schools here in Athens will be paged for students who are keen.

Richard