[RULE] Call to arms and requirements for the website

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 27 08:31:59 EET 2004

>From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>
>Subject: RE: [RULE] Call to arms and requirements for the website
>Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:23:41 -0600
>
>I've been thinking of two possible schema for this (displaying them is not
>a problem since, as Eugene said, CSS solves that neatly):
>
>         1. Put all news items in a directory as text files. Have the first
>line be the news headline. Have the filename provide the category and
>datestamp. Use a PHP function to get the directory listing, grep for the
>categories you want (or all if you prefer), and display the N most recent
>items in that category iteratively. Not that difficult.
>
>         2. Instead of using a directory listing with separate files, set
>up a quick-and-dirty form to put the news items into a MySQL table. Then do
>the same as in #1 to extract the desired items.

My preference is #1 because I don't understand SQL very well, & have had
difficulty running MySQL. I realize that I'm not the 1 in charge here, but I
mention it only as advice. If you set up MySQL, then that might mean another
point of failure. In other words, if MySQL goes down but the web server
stays up, then the web page/site still may not function properly.

<snip>
>I understand and can design the logic quite easily and well... I just can't
>code them into reality just yet. Frustrating.

Yes, me too. I agree.

>And lots of book reading.

Yes, there's another problem. If we try to get too sophisticated, then it
becomes a burden to manage the site. I'd rather do something repetitive,
than try to learn something that I might not understand.

Regarding the threaded tree site map, I just thought of something. It
shouldn't be hard to find a tree program that should be able to spell things
out. After that, we could use a bash script to add links to each page. I'm
not strong with regular expressions, but if somebody could do that, then I
could try to create that bash script.

--
Sincerely, & with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong