[RULE] working kernel for RULE/fedora

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at hellug.gr
Sat Feb 21 03:29:33 EET 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:22:44 +0100
"M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti at inwind.it> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 09:21:12 AM +0100, C David Rigby  cdrigby at 9online.fr  wrote:
> >
> > We still have the issue of getting a working kernel.

Hello All

I continue to think that those who understand these things well enough would help the rest by providing sets of three goodies:

	1-a simple ascii file explaining the target hw and any caveats
	2-a url or cd location to find the correct kernel source
	3-a config file or files that "work"

Hosting lots of kernel rpm's becomes unwieldy and for some of us downloads are tough, if not downright impossible.
With the correctly chosen source (sometimes provided by local computer mag cd's) and matching config file the actual compilation is quite doable for most.

However, I personally am doing some things incorrectly because even when I do manage a compilation without errors the resulting size is larger than stock kernel I was hoping to trim! (My particular desires were to create kernels for 486's - some with pci, some without and including the now abandoned by Fedora/RedHat sbcd.o module, but surely others have entirely different needs.)

Plain vanilla kernel sources are often found on cd give aways and I would like to see if something breaks or not with simple Rule setups. The kernel source found on Fedora or RedHat cd's is always on hand but is less easy to know what can be trimmed and what must stay when rolling one's own config file.

Richard