[RULE] LTSP

Colin Mattoon colinm at nwc-radio.com
Fri Feb 27 18:17:12 EET 2004

However, RULE, by virtue it's lightweight footprint, would be quite
suitable as the Linux distribution installed on older machines with
small hard drives that execute nothing except a local X server and
basic networking -- and that query an XDMCP server automatically after
booting to the networked CLI runlevel by running an rc.local script.
Basically just "X -query <the-IP-of-the-XDMCP-server>" and you have a
thin client without the necessity of  network booting, dhcp, TFTP, or
LTSP server -- or of swapping over the network.

Older hardware can be more difficult to network boot than most people
want to deal with. However, a P60 with 16 MB RAM and a 200 to 500 MB
hard drive works quite well as an inexpensive  X terminal if it (along
with a dozen or more similar machines) queries a PIII or better.

I provide an office productivity environment this way today using
Slackware and Debian.  RULE would be a more familiar environment for
the network administrator in an operation that wishes to standardize
on an official RedHat or Fedora installation on the XDMCP server, and
would faciltate recycling of older PCs as X terminals. One PIII or
better with 512MB RAM, and a large hard drive(s), acting as XDMCP/file
and print server, running a firewall on the external interface, and a
dozen or more old first generation Pentiums as locally booted X
terminals, and you have a very capable office computing environment
that will easily support KDE, Gnome, etc.

RULE should be more useful in that sort of model than it would be if
the same office used RULE to create a dozen locally executing
workstations with a NFS/print/gateway server.

Later,

Colin Mattoon