[RULE] Re: Restricted requirements for RULE website

C David Rigby cdrigby at 9online.fr
Mon Mar 15 20:58:12 EET 2004

Oops - thought I had sent it to the list.

I think staying with MySQL is doable & desirable.  One of the nice
features of this particular package is that it does not assume a
monstrously powerful server.  When a page is first requested, it is
cached in a directory named, not surprisingly, CACHE.  The trade off is
thus between disk space on the one hand and CPU cycles on the other hand
and response time on the, um, third hand.  The administrator chooses a
delay time.  If the cached copy is younger than this, it is used.  If
older, the page is regenerated.  The other nice feature is that if MySQL
is unavailable, the cached copy is always used.

A site map function is essentially built in due to the hierarchical
architecture, and there is also a backup function that can probably be
"hijacked" to give us easy mirroring capability.  Syndication is also
built in, as is a search engine.  Further, the package is designed to
use some special characters, such as "{" and "}," in specific ways to
indicate desired formatting.  So it should not be too tough to prepare a
text file with formatting that can be uploaded (even by simply pasting
it into the editor field of the website's article creation function)
that will then have template-controlled html functionality once it is
published.  Finally, there is a "private area" of the site to which the
administrator grants access to others to be writers, editors, etc.

Anyway, that's a quick overview.  I am working on converting some of the
existing website content to work with it, and once I have a small demo
ready, I'll advise people to come and take a look!

CDR