Updated RULE RedHat 9 [Was: Re: [RULE] Structure of slinky filesystem/bin folder]

C David Rigby cdrigby at 9online.fr
Fri Mar 26 11:49:41 EET 2004

Marco et. al.,
	Per your restrictions of possible file size for the new installer CD
due to the mechanism by which you can transport the files, and following
my previous idea (yesterday) of changing my immediate goal to focus on
updating a RULE installation of RH9 from the CDs, I have done the following:

Working with the lists of RPMs that are input to the second-stage
installer script for a RedHat 9 installation, I have determined the list
of RPMs that need to be upgraded to be current with the latest RedHat 9
errata (the last released errata was 2004.03.18, RHBA-2004:083,
grep-2.5.1-7.8.i386.rpm).  Hopefully, I did not miss anyway (correct me
here if you spot an error, please).

These file lists are found under the directory /second_stage_scripts/9
on the disk2.img floppy.  In order to make sure I was using the
slinky-v0.3.96 version, I mounted the image in order to read the file
list.  I have not checked, but they may have the same contents as the
same files of the slinky_devel tarball, in which case they can be found
under slinky_devel/DISK2/second_stage_scripts/9/, or at

http://rule-test.homelinux.org/~rule/rule-tool/slinky_devel/DISK2/second_stage_scripts/9/

All of the available and RULE-applicable RedHat 9 updates that I found
are on the server under:

http://rule-test.homelinux.org/~rule/rule-tool/updates

The GOTCHA! that you have guessed is coming is the size of all this:
over 170MB.  This is before including the latest Abiword or koffice (I
have not been able to find an indication that kdrive has been updated,
and I have not checked on icewm or the other small window managers we
have associated with it).  By restricting my attention to just the i386
and noarch packages needed, then archiving and compressing them with tar
followed by gzip-9, I have gotten an updates package down to 118MB.  The
same thing was done for an iso image, RULE-RH9-01.iso, after which it
was also compressed to come in just under 120MB.  The results are here
(with an MD5 checksum file in the same directory):

http://rule-test.homeline.org/~rule/rule-tool/updates/

PLEASE NOTE: If you would prefer this with a different kernel RPM (this
has the kernel-2.4.20-30.9.i386.rpm supplied by RedHat in the
subdirectory i386) let me know and I can create other images/tarballs.
The i586 kernel is only a few hundred kB larger.

Also here are all of the official RedHat update RPMs that are applicable
to a RULE-installed system for all architectures, in subdirectories.
The MD5SUM file applies to just the images of i386+noarch.  All other
RPMs can be confirmed individually by using this command once downloaded:

rpm --checksig name.of.file.rpm

I have located the Abiword 2.0.5 rpm and some koffice 1.3 rpms (binary
and source).  The koffice 1.3 rpms are built for Fedora Core 1, so they
may not work (as yet untested) but I can always try to rebuild the
source package on a system here running RH 9.

I have realized that I am not going to get a CD image built in under 120
MB that will contain all of the updates, so I am going to proceed to
build a CD image to contain all updates, plus the supplemental packages
we use such as kdrive, Abiword & koffice.  However, I'll put the RPMs on
the server here so that interested folks can download them individually.
  I probably will not tar and gzip anything else unless it is
specifically requested, since RPMs already compress the payload, so one
does not save that much in terms of storage.

I am going to perform an install-from-scratch using just the official
RH9 CDs and the slinky-v0.3.96 CD, then see if I can perform an update
via http from the server.  I'm also going to see if my long-suffering
little notebook can be induced to install Abiword 2.0.5 and koffice 1.3.
  I'll post the results when it is done.

CDR