[RULE] Re: Updated RULE RedHat 9

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Fri Mar 26 23:13:35 EET 2004

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 18:17:42 PM +0100, C David Rigby
 cdrigby at 9online.fr  wrote:

> I am curious to see what you had to do to get koffice installed.  I
> tried to install koffice-1.3, but there definitely were some
> dependency issues. I decided to set it aside for another day!

Some time ago I did install on another PC KOffice 1.3 on Red Hat 9,
but from sources. The real problem, IIRC, was not to *compile* it
(even though there are gotchas) but to make it *start*! Search
messages from me in the koffice and koffice-devel lists of the latest
two months: the whole chronicle is reported there. To sum it up, the
real problem seems to be a mix of lack of config documentation on
Koffice side and Red Hat's very own idea of how KDE ought to be
assembled.

I have also added to the laptop the firefox browser, then dialed up
and made a darn cool snapshot of real home banking @32MB, 133 MHz!

I have written down which extra RPM I had to install (and which tricks
to play) to make koffice and firefox happy. I'll post everything next
week, together with several things to fix up for the next releases.

Gee, time to pack now! Have a nice weekend. Thanks again David for all
the packaging!

Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
you do it. -- Gandhi