[RULE] to generate rpm lists (was Updated RULE RedHat 9)

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at hellug.gr
Tue Apr 13 17:42:20 EEST 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 23:04:10 -0500
Michael Fratoni <mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net> wrote:

> If you are having trouble figuring out the dependencies for a group of
> packages, you can try something like this:
>
> cd /dir/containing/all/of/your/packages/*.rpm
> mkdir /tmp/testdb
> rpm --initdb --dbpath /tmp/testdb
> rpm --test --dbpath /tmp/testdb -Uvh *.rpm
>
> This will run rpm in test mode using an empty database. Any unmet
> dependencies will be reported, nothing will be installed. Just keep
> adding packages to your .rpm directory and running the test again until
> rpm stops complaining. This is how I determine the slinky file lists.
>
> - -Michael

Since this is the method to develop slinky file lists, and presumably applicable to any rpm based distribution, would those knowledgeable in such matters please also provide what could be described as "essential" components for any given list (to begin the process.)

For example, in the case of Shrike (Redhat 9) and the list of network rpm's, perhaps openssh-3.5p1-6.i386, iptables-1.2.7a-2.i386 would be deemed among the essentials to seed such a list?

Of course, it eventually comes down to a matter of opinion, but if one were to consider the absolute minimum (as it has become accepted within the RULE project) is this a workable request worthy of discussion?

Michael has always supplied finished lists and updated scripts. Using Fedora 2, for instance, can others help?

Richard