[RULE] Testing of new website started. Contributors wanted

C David Rigby cdrigby at 9online.fr
Tue Apr 20 20:22:23 EEST 2004

Hello, RULErs,

	SPIP's content management falls into two broad categories.  The actual
pages are articles, and a tree-like structure is implicit in how the
database is organized.  However, what is actually displayed on any given
page is also a result of a template that uses SPIP's built-in formatting
language (developed in PHP) to select articles and layout the
presentation.  In the SPIP model, writing & editting articles can be
done in the "Private Area" accessible only to Administrators, Editors
and writers.  That functionality is accessbile via a web browser.  The
actual templates can only be accessed and editted via a standard Unix
shell account.  At least until someone writes a PHP-based interface to
the CLI under Linux, I suppose...

	Anyway, to do some of the things mentioned by Marco (such as
simplifying the display of information, removing the references to the
author's other articles, etc.) the templates need to be modified.  I
feel like I understand the principles and the scripting language well
enough, I just need to spend some time poking about in the code until
the displayed pages have the desired appearance and functionality.

	Question for Marco: are you working on a script in in bash or PHP?  Are
you working on converting the existing HTML or playtext pages, or the
install reports, or both?

	I tried but failed to get an automated backup system in place for the
server before going off on vacation, but did not succeed.  I have
altered my strategy since getting back behind the keyboard, so I hope to
have it operational within a couple of days.  Operational implies
tested, so there will probably be some server downtime while I do
something drastic to the contents of the server's hard drives to make
sure I can recover the from the backups.  But now that I seem to have a
real user population doing real work, I had better take care of that
first!  I'll issue a warning via the mailing list before I bring the
system down.

Cheers,
C David Rigby