[RULE] Preparing RULE for FC2

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu May 13 00:52:40 EEST 2004

At 11:50 5/12/2004, Martin Stricker wrote:
> >          2. Synchronize at least once a day, preferably more (if no
> > changes have been made, the extra syncs will carry no traffic and
> > thus causes no additional load)
>
>Do you expect that many critical changes? I think once a day is
>absolutely sufficient. I would even go with every other day.

Critical changes? No... I wasn't thinking of that. If, however, more and
more people are going to get involved and start contributing pages,
comments, etc. to the site, then doing (for example) four tiny updates from
the main site (say, one 10-second rsync transaction every 6 hours) is
really no more work than doing it all once a day, but two good things happen:

         a) The odd connectivity problem which prevents one sync job from
completing leaves you with a shorter "outdated" interval.

         b) Even small changes propagate more quickly.

The cost (human, computational, and transport) of doing rsync every 6 hours
instead of every 24 is exceedingly small, I think. Especially with the low
volume of changes, as you noted.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com